New research reveals that 70% of people believe Irish beef burgers are the best in the world *
It’s that time of year again, when burger-lovers across Ireland cast their votes to make the ultimate decision – who has Ireland’s best burger? Irish burger enthusiasts are being asked to cast their vote for their favourite burger to help celebrate National Burger Day, sponsored by Kepak, which takes place this year on 20th June.
Following an incredibly successful launch last year, in which The Hungry Moose in Kilkenny claimed victory, National Burger Day is back for a second year and burger chefs across Ireland will once again battle it out for the title of “Ireland’s Best Burger”. With the average person consuming no less than 43 burgers a year, in and out of the home, the Irish certainly know what it takes to produce a tasty, juicy burger and they’re ready to cast their ballots.
Voting for “Ireland’s Best Burger” is now officially underway and customers throughout the country will have three weeks to cast their vote online through the dedicated website – www.nationalburgerday.ie. All voters will also be entered into a draw to win a trip for two to Las Vegas.
Research conducted by Bord Bia into burger trends amongst the Irish population, in anticipation of National Burger Day, highlight some interesting insights into burger consumption in Ireland:
- ▪ 70% of consumers believe Irish beef burgers are the best in the world.
- ▪ 1 in 5 Irish Millennials would choose a burger as their last meal.
- ▪ 70% of Irish Millennials and Gen X regularly eat burgers outside of the home.
- ▪ 42% of Irish people regularly eat burgers at home.
- ▪ 6 in 10 choose the classic double Irish beef burger with cheese, bacon and sauce as their favourite burger with 65% of baby boomers choosing this their favourite.
- ▪ 39% of people living in Connacht and Ulster rate the double Irish beef burger with the works (cheese, bacon, eggs, grilled onions, lettuce, tomato, relish & aioli) as their favourite
“National Burger Day is fast becoming a calendar staple and is much more than just a competition – it’s a means of igniting a conversation around a much-loved food” said Bláthnaid Ní Fhátharta, Kepak Marketing Director. “Studies show regardless of gender or age; people agree on the best two toppings – cheese and ketchup! So, competitors might want to keep those on hand during the competition!”
Hundreds of businesses across the country will be taking part in the hunt for Ireland’s best burger including much loved fast food joints such as Gourmet Burger and Eddie Rockets, pubs, hotels and speciality burger restaurants.
Once all the votes from all corners of the country are gathered and counted, Ireland’s Best Burger will be revealed on National Burger Day, June 20th, 2019 – an event sponsored by Kepak, and supported by Heinz, Dubliner Cheese and Ben & Jerry’s, with participating businesses all over the country marking the day by offering a Buy One Get One Free exclusive offer on selected burgers.
* Source: Bord Bia Insight Centre, May 2019
1,000 Online Interviews in ROI amongst adults aged 18+ (Nationally Representative)
Additional statistics From National Burger Day – The Headlines research conducted by Bord Bia Insight Centre, May 2019 available on request.